A second blog entry in less than 24 hours - quite shocking, I know! As I sit here at my desk, gazing at the beautiful flowers outside and avoiding everything that I need to be doing, I am thinking about the words of some friends. Words that were spoken to me and haven't left my thoughts.
You see, I have a great group of friends who tend to be quite honest with me at times. Their honesty can sometimes be disheartening, but I know it's all out of love - at least I'm hoping it is. :) Last weekend I was able to spend some time with a few girls that know me way too well. One of them I have known since Junior High and all of the others have known me for at least ten years now. Wow - time has sure flown by. I try my best to keep up with each of them regulary - whether that is through phone calls (unless your Liz) or facebook, or weekend visits. I love them dearly and can't imagine not having them to talk to. It's those friends that when you haven't seen each other in months, you pick up right where you left off.
These girls have each been a blessing to me. They've been with me through my struggles of a life gone sideways in college - through moves from one country to the next - through my extreme sarcastic years - and through those times when I just needed to vent and have someone listen. We each live our own, very different lives, but I have each of them to thank for bringing me back to reality - when I only see things from my side and never picture what someone else is thinking. I miss those girls tremendously, but it's times like these, when I need complete honesty, when we actually find time for each other that I feel God's hand in our friendships.
Last weekend I needed to talk with 'my girls.' They were there to listen, to point out that I'm not crazy and I just overthink too many things! I fear I jump to conclusions way too fast and I get frustrated that God can't show me the answer immediately. They were there to calm me down and they helped me realize that everything is going to be okay. Memories of our years together quickly flood back followed by laughter and tears. Yes, I know - laughing so hard I was crying!
What I found to be interesting though, was that they each pointed out that they were amazed at the honesty I put up on my blog. They couldn't believe that I would allow people to get to know me, and my thoughts, through the internet - of all places! So I have begun questioning myself - and this whole "blog." I was surprised by their reactions mainly due to the fact that my personal journal houses most of the thoughts I only care for God to know about! I guess I thought I was using this portal to show a little bit about how God has been working in my life, as well as some of the many adventures I have been on. I, at one point in my life, was considered to be shy and silent. I still revert to silence when something is bothering me, or I'm upset, but I find it freeing to be able to express myself now. For so many years I held so much in, and at a crucial time in my life I had to learn to let it go! So what I am asking is what do you think, as my "blog" reader? Do I share too many personal thoughts? Privacy is important, but have I gone too far?
My girls have really made me contemplate what I write...please let me know what you think.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I love reading what you write because it is real and not just an update on life through rose colored glasses. I think deciding what you write is a decision only for you.
Hey Addie! I have just stumbled across your blog, but I've already read a month's worth of entries, and I find it refreshing to read honest thoughts. Personally, I know that it is hard to draw the line between what some know vs what everyone knows, but if you feel comfortable being open, I think it benefits all who read - and it may be therapeutic for you also. I specifically felt that way after reading your 1/28 blog...I'll be 30 when I finally get married this year, but it was worth the wait. Anyway, this could be a neat opportunity for you to help people work through their stuff and never even realize it...how cool! So, I think if you are comfortable sharing, it's not too much info. Take that with a grain of salt from your "other dad"... :)
Post a Comment