So I made a comment on my Facebook page this evening that had to do with taking a risk – is it really worth it? I didn’t list the “risk” I was referring to, but I was surprised to see so many people say go for it! My first instinct was yeah, I should, but then my mind starts to think about all that could happen, if I were to actually take the risk. Now, I’ve never been one to really turn down a task, but sometimes, well, I just have to ask myself if it is truly worth, in this case, getting hurt. I did a bit of research and came up with some interesting points in regards to “risk taking” and wanted to share them with you.
What Is Risk Taking?
* To laugh is to risk appearing the fool;
* To weep is to risk appearing sentimental;
* To reach out for another is to risk involvement;
* To expose feelings is to risk exposing true self;
* To place your ideas, your dreams before the crowd is to risk their loss;
* To love is to risk not being loved in return;
* To live is to risk dying;
* To hope is to risk despair;
* To try is to risk failure;
* But risk must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing;
* The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing and is nothing;
* He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love and live;
* Chained by his certitudes, he is a slave and has forfeited freedom'
* Only a person who risks is free.
Risk taking is:
* Opening yourself to change. It is the accepting of the need for change and it is taking the behavioral steps that will result in that change.
* Honest appraisal of a situation in life requiring your action.
* Understanding the risks involved in taking such action.
* Weighing the pros and cons of taking the action.
* Making a choice to take the required action.
* Performing the action with full consciousness of the risks, pros and cons and potential outcome.
* Accepting the consequences of such action.
* The ability to ignore your need for other's approval in order to take the most appropriate action for you.
* The behavioral process involving the gamble that you may experience rejection from others for the actions you have chosen to take.
* Pursuing the required actions despite the fear that it will affect others negatively, resulting in their efforts to make you feel guilty about taking such action.
* Deciding to make a personal sacrifice of time, energy, ability and knowledge as an investment to better your circumstances.
* Hoping your circumstances will improve as a result of your personal sacrifice, but making it anyway.
* The effort to be honest with yourself about your part in interpersonal problems, admitting that you have certain personal barriers that prevent the resolution of the problem.
* Admitting to the other(s) involved what the barriers are and seeking assistance to address those barriers and resolve the problems.
* Committing to become objective in pursuing a rational approach to a problem.
* The willingness to identify irrational blocking beliefs, which hinder resolutions.
* Opening yourself to be identified as being too subjective, too emotional, too obstructing and too hindering in the resolution of your problem.
* The willingness to accept honest, objective feedback about the need for you to change your own behavior.
* The effort to be less subjective, less defensive and more open in your search for truth, honesty and sanity in resolving your problem.
* The willingness to take a healing, forgiving and forgetting attitude in pursuing the resolution of a conflict.
* Opening yourself to be vulnerable, to being taken advantage of by the other in the conflict situation.
* Demonstrating your trust in the other person's willingness to accept an honest, open and upfront approach to resolving the conflict.
* Now-oriented action.
* Direct confrontation of a problem. It is the absence of procrastination and denial in dealing with a problem.
* Responsible action taken to pursue the resolution of a problem.
What are some blocks to risk taking?
Road blocks to becoming a risk taker include:
* Fear of rejection
* Need for approval
* Need to avoid guilt
* Need to always be right
* Need to know all the "in's and out's'' of a situation
* Need for certainty
* Lack of belief in yourself and others
* Fear of being incompetent
* Desire to avoid conflict
* Unresolved anger
* Poor role modeling in family of origin
* Fear of failure
* Unwillingness to face problems honestly
* Lack of assertiveness in protection of your own rights
* Inability to take the responsibility for your own life
* Unwillingness to accept possible negative consequences
* Preferring to be unhappy, mired in your problem
* Playing it safe
* A need for security
* Fear of hurting others
* Rationalizing the lack of need for direct action
* Denial that a problem exists and that action needs to be taken
* Projecting the need for action onto others
* Intellectualizing about a problem to avoid action
* Exempting yourself of responsibility to resolve a problem
* Relying on others to resolve your problems
* Alcohol or drug abuse "clouding" thinking
* Over-emotional response to a problem
* Humoring yourself and others to ignore the problem
* Over concern for everybody but yourself
* Fear of pain ("no pain, no gain")
* Absence of desire to change
* Irrational belief that it is impossible to change the situation
* A disregard for the rights of yourself and others
* Confusion about your role in handling the problem
* Lack of ownership of the problem
* Over-sentimentality for the needs of others
* Enjoying the sympathy you receive from others for the problem you face
* Inability to let go of an old belief in a person or institution
* A belief that life should always be fair
Not being a risk taker results in:
* The problem or complaint going unresolved
* Change being avoided
* Maintenance of the status quo, even if it is negative
* Others turning off to your complaints and pleas for help
* No gains in life--stagnation
* Over-dependence on others to take care of you
* Unhappiness concerning your current status in life
* Depression over your problems
* Feelings of being stuck C immobilized
* A chronic "yes, but" attitude
* Lack of creativity in problem solving
* The problems becoming exacerbated
* Your rights and the rights of others being ignored
* Experiencing ``burnout'' in facing your problems
* Loss of support from others who have been assisting you in working on your problems
* Loss of physical health
* Loss of emotional health
* Being isolated and ignored by others as you wallow in self-pity
* Your blaming others for not helping to solve your problems
* Your self-destructive, self-defeating behavior
After reading through these lists, it gave me a better understanding of the benefits and downfalls of taking risks. As I was flipping through my journal this evening, why, I don’t exactly know, I looked at my first entry. My most recent journal was given to me by a friend when I moved to Italy back in 2006. He knew that I enjoyed writing in a journal, and it was the perfect travel size! As I read his inscription in the front, I had to laugh because it mentioned that he hoped it would be a great reminder of my adventures in Italy. If only I knew then what I know now! It truly is a reminder! I relate those first few entries in the journal to my journey of taking risks. I think back to the big decisions on what jobs to take, where to move, and what house to buy. As I was packing for a quick trip to Austin tomorrow, I pulled off a luggage tag from this past August – a reminder of my last “flying” adventure to meet an eHarmony man – what a risk that was! (What a memory that was as well!) I also feel that it was impart a risk to closing my account. I felt eHarmony was my way out of this town, but quitting it was a risk in truly relying on God and letting him take control. I guess letting God be in charge is not really a risk but it has sure been an act of faith!
We take risks quite often – some that may affect that particular day, others that will affect the rest of our lives. As I continued to flip through my journal I found many entries where I pose an uneasiness on certain things – weighing the pros and cons – trying to see what I should or shouldn’t do. I always try to look at both sides, make a tangible list, and formulate my thoughts as best as I can. I sometimes ask for advice, and sometimes ignore everything that everybody has to say! Jordan and I were laughing the other day because I totally disregarded the advice she gave me – and was thankful I went ahead and “risked” it all! If I wouldn’t have, something would have dragged on for months, but I am so grateful that I took initiative. I don’t know if you call it being brave or naïve, but sometimes, you just have to go for it, even if there is a fear of being hurt. I hope to have no regrets in life and feel that regrets aren’t always a negative thing, but something to ponder upon.
I wish I could share with you what is going on in my mind right now, but I just can’t. I will remember to seek God in this though – he will let me know which direction I need to take. I hope you gained a bit more insight into the realm of “risk-taking,” and I say go for whatever you want, and make the most of it!
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment