What a great start to a new year! I spent last night enjoying family and old friends and rang in the new year with excitement! As I looked back on years past last night, the scene was quite familiar. I have been in the Gray's living room many a new years eve and it felt wonderful to be back in their home again this year.
I knew that getting to bed at 3am this morning would prove difficult in waking up for our road trip today, but my mom, Billy and I were up early and headed back up here to East Texas - Longview. My brother turns 33 tomorrow, so we decided to spend the next few days with him and his family.
On the drive here, I was thankful that I actually had the opportunity to read! I cherish those moments, when I'm not reading a textbook, or when I actually have quiet time to pick up one of the many books I have purchased and never had the opportunity to open. As some of you know Barnes and Noble is my favorite place of all time, and it saddens me that I don't have one very close! Any bookstore will due, but gosh, there is nothing like a good Barnes and Noble and hot chocolate from Starbucks! So with that said, I brought along a few books to read, knowing that Billy would be driving the five hours here. I picked up a book I had actually read before, but remembered it being quite humorous, and I needed a good laugh! The book was given to me by a friend last year, and after returning it to her, I quickly went to Amazon.com and bought a few more to share with my other single friends. Now I don't mean to make these last two posts about being single, but it is a part of my life, and I do have some wonderful stories! The following is an excerpt from the book, that I think all single women should remember! Read it if you would like.
"Celebrate Your Singleness!
Treat yourself once a week; attack another dream once a year.
Treat Yourself
With others questioning your singleness and no one man signed up to affirm you, you need to take time to pamper yourself and remind yourself that you rock - regardless of your marital status. So, figure out what makes you happy, how God has gifted you, where you most enjoy serving others, and what perk of singleness you like best. Play up these positives in little ways once a week. I enjoy a leisurely lunch hour at the local Starbuck's with a Mocha Frappuccino and a great travel narrative. It rejuvenates me, juices me up for an afternoon in the office, and inspires hopes and ideas that have nothing to do with a man. Which leads to my next point...
Attack Another Dream
There are so many other goals you can have control of in your life right now - learning a foreign language, taking a photography class, sponsoring a child overseas, mastering basic home improvement skills. Focus on those things you can control instead of that one elusive thing you can't. It's empowering, especially when you feel powerless to fulfill your desire for a mate or to make that ache go away. It broadens you as a person and gives you even more to offer Mr.Right if he ever does decide to grace the scene. It makes you more attractive - there's nothing more compelling than someone doing something she loves. And it gives God other ways to bless and use you. What could be more abundant than that?
The idea is to create such a great single life that you don't notice who's "missing," that you wouldn't dare let anything less than God's best pry you away from it, and that you experience God's presence and purpose in your life as they were meant to be experienced - individually and unconditionally. And to get to the place where the next time someone asks, "What's a nice girl like you doing still single?" you can answer: "Having the time of my life!"
Just remember, God is in control and don't let the next adventure in your life slip away!
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment