Saturday, January 10, 2009

Not Strange - "Unique"

What an interesting school year it has been. I can't believe that January is already here - another semester of 5th grade under my belt. I never dreamed I would be teaching 5th Grade, especially back here in my hometown. I knew I needed another year of the 'same' thing and so I opted to stay here, at the same school, teaching in the same classroom. teaching the exact same subject. What I didn't realize is that I might actually be somewhat good at the whole teaching Language Arts thing! My heart was always with Kindergarten. I love Early Childhood - can't get enough of it, but my eyes have been opened to the needs of these kids at a much higher age than I realized.

This past week I learned alot more about the struggles of my kids. We began talking about decisions that will effect the rest of our lives, and to that I had some students begin commenting on how they don't want to turn 12. I didn't quite understand - they always seem to want to be older than they are - more fun things to do - and to get in trouble doing - but I was curious as to what they were talking about. I was not ready for their answers. I try to explain to my kids that although they think I am this perfect teacher (lol..I know, shocking) that I have been through some of the same struggles they have. I would probably say the majority of my kids don't share the same last names as their mothers, they move from one house to the next, dads are out of the picture, and they are left to take care of numerous siblings. The reason some of my students were dreading the age of 12 was that their parents told them that that was the age they would have to decide where they would live permanently. 12 seems so young to me, for a decision like that, and I could see the worried looks on their faces. My heart broke for them. I remember the first year I didn't live with both of my parents...what a traumatic year that was. Yes, it was my decision on where I went, but I was also at an age where I knew I would be out of the house soon enough and the pain wouldn't last very long. After that comment, we began a class discussion, forgetting everything having to do with action verbs and direct objects and went straight to dealing with the matter at hand. It's days like these when I just want to scoop those kids up and take them home with me! It's days like these when I remember why I became a teacher and how I can actually help a student reach their potential. It's days like these when I just want to sit and pray with them and have them know that I am there for them.

I don't know what the rest of the year holds for me and my 59 precious 5th graders. Each day is truly a new adventure and although my kids think I am a bit strange at times, we have coined the phrase, "Ms.Nauman, you are very unique!" From teaching action verbs through a game of charades to learning how to win a championship in a game of marbles, I truly feel like my kids enjoy coming to my class. You'll have to ask them for the truth though!

As I came home today and checked the mail, I was surprised to find a letter, congratulating me on an award I have been given. This year started off with "Celebration of Excellence Award," which I was shocked to get, and then a nomination for "Educator of the Year" in my district, and now this...a letter from the VFW and Ladies Auxiliary who are honoring me as the "Outstanding Teacher for Grades 5 thru 8." Maybe this is God's way of telling me that I can do this...even though I am exhausted most days when I come home, I am doing it for good reasons. I love those kids...I just pray they realize how much I do love them.

1 comment:

Ang D said...

Congrats, Addie. These are the good days. If only they asked our students THIS on their standardized tests! Keep lovin' on them!